Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Ramadhan Kareem, time to reflect.

I was fascinated with a post on Facebook. If it had not been up on my wall, I would not have noticed it. It is the first day of Ramadhan. Ramadhan Kareem to all muslims! Yeay. 

The post is about a non-muslim trying to feel what fasting is like for muslims. He tried to fast for four days and he could not do it anymore. Anyway, he did learn some great lessons from his noble effort. First, he was awaken by this sense of empathy. He felt that he has had so much luxuries in his life where other people (the poor and needy) do not have any. Second, he learned to control his desire to spend as he reflected on the first lesson. What have I learned? :(

Let me reflect on my practice as a Malay muslim living in Malaysia. I remember that Ramadhan has always been the 'awaited' month of the year. It is the time for people to see all kinds of food and dishes. It is highly tempting. The 'Bazaar Ramadhan' really tests our faith. Oh my, oh my. The aroma. The smell of food. The beautifully presented dishes. The colorful drinks. (Gulp). As you stroll around the bazaar hungrily, you tend to have plans on what to have for dinner. Most of the time, I tend to overspend. I normally buy this and that. I stop at every stall and buy things. What is going inside my small tank of brain? "Oh, I should have this...maybe after Isya'... or after Tarawikh... or this can go for later...or for Sahur". Reality check? Naah. I am already full. Throw them away. The remaining goes to waste. If they are not, they are already stale or inedible to consume. Down to the bin. Such a waste.

Here we are, on this holy month; Ramadhan. As it begins for practicing muslims, most deem this month as being a month of fasting from dawn to sunset without water or food. Dear all, it is not a hunger strike. Well, there is more to Ramadhan as it is a month for us to reflect on our life, our deeds and the hardship people go through especially the needy. It calls for self-awareness deep in our hearts. The stereotype goal of Ramadhan by most muslims is to burn as much calories as possible. LOL. Well, for once if it would help, people should aim at burning their ego, pride and sins. It is time to reflect and give more to others. Muslims keep on preaching those but sadly, very few (in my retrospect) walk the talk. Yes, that includes me. :(


Now, let us reset.. No! I should reset. This year, I aim not to overspend and only go for

what I need. I aim to give more and not complain much. I aim to not skip my tarawikh. I aim to speak of good things to people. I aim to control my lust, my eyes, my ears and my body from doing negative things. O Allah, may You give me strength to go through this month blissfully, ameen.

Dear all, may this Ramadhan be our brightest. Let us pray that this month will bring us the utmost in peace and prosperity. Ramadhan Kareem, Ramadhan Mubarak peeps!

No comments: