Monday, July 5, 2010

of the headlines and my first day impression....

Assalamualaikum and Salam 1 Malaysia.

I am writing from the Lecturer's Lounge, UiTM Jengka Pahang. It is hot outside so I have decided to land my feet on in this cold and convenient room.

Read the news today...seriously, what's with this ulama' changing parties thingy and ulama' changing the state laws? It is all politics...I don't like the way we are heading because religious matters should not be played according to the current political game scenario. But then, who am I to say because I play the minutest role in this. In fact, I just signed up for the voter's list, huhu...;p To top that up, I must say, I am a bit blunt with our latest political scenario.

Flipping over the pages has made me feel nauseous because it is almost the same news and things reported everyday. Politic and pro-governments issues are filling the front pages...almost everyday. I am bored with it already. Somewhere inside the pages....there's a news about Terengganu beaches. It mentions that almost 10 couples are caught naked everyday at Terengganu beaches. WOW! That is bizarre....LOL...

The news about a Chinese guy who died after donating his blood for the 45th time struck me a bit. I was a bit moved by the news since I have never donated my blood. I hope I can become like that guy who constantly donated his blood whenever possible, except the 'death' part. I think it's noble.

Another news is about a letter to Utusan's editor. I found it's funny as it specifically mentions UiTM Jengka in the letter. The sender (Mama E-Dora) complaints about how UiTM treats her child by making her share the room with six students. She claims that it is unfair for her daughter because by right, the room is supposed to cater four persons. Over the limit eyh?! Dear Mama E-dora, first and foremost, you must understand the major problem which UiTM is facing. Abundance of students!!! UiTM has this policy to take more and more unfortunate students to be given the luxury of education. Not to mention the underqualified students who have been given a second chance to study and also the "Destini Anak Bangsa" program. Where do you expect those unfortunate students to stay if it's not at the hostel???! That is why, UiTM is forced to ask your child to move out and become an NR student. However, the problem is...it is extremely hard...wait, it is almost impossible to find a descent and cheap houses here in Jengka. I am facing the same problem too. In fact I am still looking for a nice place to stay.

Today (8-10am, 10-12pm) was my very first day teaching. The first group I have met was a group from Civil Engineering program. The code is BEL311 and they are in part three. I must say, I am delighted with my first impression upon this group. They are just supportive and cooperative. They responded quite well. Overall, in my humble opinion, they just need a little bit polishing for the grammar, speaking, writing and reading. Other than that, they are moving to the right direction. I am just glad that most of them (94%) were responsive just now. On top of it, I am proud to say that most of them have clearer vision and goals on what to be expected from me and also from BEL311.

The second group which I met was a group from Pre-Diploma in Accountancy program. Errrmm...there is not much to say about this group except they are a bit passive and less responsive compared to the other group. Of course, how can I compare these two groups? Obviously, they are from different levels. Most of them  have problems comprehending the message I have been conveying. I did a lot of simplifying with them to the extent of using very minimal (4%) of Bahasa Malaysia in my lesson. I am aware of the negative impact which it carries but what other options do I have? I am referring to that time-line. One thing I have noticed about them is they responded quite well when I asked them to present a short role-play or sketch. It was worth of my time asking them about their expectation from the course and also from the lecturer (me). Most of them have problems using proper and appropriate English with correct mechanics and tone. Most of the time, they prefer to remain silent and not responding to the instruction given. Through games and role-playing, I learned that those students engage themselves in the language use even if it is minimal. At least, they are trying to fulfill the task given. Therefore, congratulation to them for making their very first day of class at UiTM.

I still have not figured out what tomorrow has to offer me. I hope, the next groups will be more cooperative and also responsive. InsyaAllah, I will try my best to make the lesson as fun as possible! ;p

So far, I found that I love my students and I really hope I can do something to help them improve their competency as well as their proficiency of the language.

I think that is all for now. Till we meet again, toodles.

P/s - I am anxiously waiting for my "Surat Pengesahan Senat" from UiTM Shah Alam....urgh....

2 comments:

Mikhael KS said...

wow
u're lecturer now.
how pleasure i'm if u teach me bel 499 for this semestre
hehehhe

~fiNdinG a VoiCe~ said...

lol...shah, ur funny...u kno im not qualified to teach smart student like u...;p