Friday, September 12, 2008

Books? BookS? Book?

Hmmm...I'm 20 years old. I will be 21 this coming December. So far, I have been reading many kinds of books. I have to accept the fact that I'm not a fan of thick books. However, there are some books that have left a good impact on me.

When I was a little boy, my late mum used to read me books from Enid Blyton. She got those from US when she was studying. The best story in Blyton's books would be the one that have pixies in it. Then comes the Famous Five series. I just love that! Somehow, I prefer the Secret Seven series more. Perhaps, as I grow up, they fancied me. I must say, the idea of 'young' detectives grabbed my interest that time. I still remember my favourite character from that series. It is 'Peter'. He is the leader and the bravest among them. From this series, later on, the Famous Five comes.

As I following my path of growing old, I 'accidentally' read this book. It's a Malay novel and the title is "Tombiruo". To me, it is a great story and it is not a stereotypical kind of story. The way the author wrote about the "Semangat Hutan" just drove me nuts. It's a heart-pumping story with lots of values in it! Tombiruo is actually a nice guy despite his beastly face. I just love the story! The conflicts and dramas that happened to him made me realize that we are living in a men world! Tombiruo represents the innocent hope in most of our hearts to find peace.

Then I started to develop my interest on "mystery" theme novel. A friend of mine suggested me to read books from James Patterson. WOW! Seriously, the author is extremely talented! I first read on "2nd Chance". Then I read about "4th of July". They are actually part of the series. Patterson writes about Women's Murder Club series. I just love the ideas of how those women met and became close friends as to solve the mysteries. I've read most of his books in the series. Last semester, I've read the "3rd Degree" and "5th Horseman". Its incomplete though. Nevertheless, this semester, I've come across his great fiction which is "You've Been Warned". It's not in the series but all I can tel you is: "Fantastico!" My heart beats faster than a bullet train as I 'free-read' in Kinokunya (KLCC). Damn, he's really good!

A book that influences me lately is "Sunstroke" by Jesse Kellerman. This is his first novel yet it's thrilling! The crimes, the dramas and conflicts are incredibly beyond my imagination. No wonder. He has the 'x-factor' to write. His parents are well-established authors. I'm not a big fan of them actually as I prefer Patterson's works than them (Jonathan and Faye Kellerman). The suspense somehow made me having nightmares. Hahaha..The murdered in Mexico intoduced the disturbing picture of this novel. The theme of 'love and hatred' drives people to do things beyond our capability. It's disturbing to read the novel at times. The feelings of hatred makes me want to turn the pages over and over till it ends. I bought it for just RM59 at MPH.

There are some other books that influence me to read. I think those books are important as it focuses on my interest which is on THRILLER and MYSTERY. It also stimulates my interest to watch that kind of fiction. People may see me as a disturbed person as I develop this passion on reading such materials but I just could not care less as long as I'm happy for that. I enjoy it!

No comments: