Friday, May 15, 2009

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?

Wow...another wow and wow..I never thought this word actually exists! Dang me, dang me...

Here's what I like to share..the word "hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia" means "the fear of long words".. I do think it's hilarious because..of its irony. How come 'the fear of long words' is spelled that long???? Seriously, I wonder which lexicographer/s registered this word in oxford dictionary...;p

Nevertheless, I found it to be fancy..I mean, the historical background of "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia". It comes from the word 'hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian' which is an extension of 'sesquipedalian+monstrum (monster)'. It then has been cut short or truncated into 'monstrosesquipedalian'...so much for being truncated huh... Anyway, the misspelling of 'hippopotomo' (hippopotamus) is intended to exaggerate the length of the word itself. Then, the idea of the size of the words being feared is combined with 'phobia'...;p

Pheewww...I must say..it's a LONnnnnnG word! 15 syllables peeps!!! Let's put it in a simpler way.. It basically means: the hippopotamus-and-monster-related fear of very long words...muahahahahahhaha...Don't be surprised that there's actually people who suffer from hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia! There's a guy in Timbuktu...He's a shoemaker and he confirmed that he's a hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic. WOW! Can u imagine that?

All in all...I still love the word "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". It's my favourite word of all time! I love the meaning. It means...'atoning (agreeing) for educability through delicate beauty'...Isn't that cool??? It's a good teaching methodology though... It can also simply mean 'fantastic'. Oh, I love that...not to mention.."Mary Poppins" is one of my favourite Disney movies...next to "Beauty and the Beast"..Ahax...;p

Anyway, I'm proud to say that...I am not a hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic! It actually fascinates me! And it's amazing how people can come out with such irony. Kudos for the lexicographers whom responsible for "hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia".

Toodles..;p

3 comments:

roi kinney said...

i think we could.
:)

he's supercute.
i wish he win.
if not. i'm gonna sue AI.
hehe.

~fiNdinG a VoiCe~ said...

dats cute..;p

"sharing is caring ok dear.." ;p

~fiNdinG a VoiCe~ said...

Cum on guys..its easy to pronounce this word..

Follow me..

hippo-poto-monstroses-quippedalio-phobia

c? it's easy...;p